Monday, February 27, 2012

Two Recent Experiences

First of all, you probably won't believe that I am even posting. Miracles never cease (and don't ever forget that). I have two things that have been important to us recently.As you may or may not know, Vic and I have been monitoring our eating habits more closely. Over the last few months, we have gone to Diabetes classes to learn how to balance the carbs, proteins, and to eat plenty of vegetables. Well, after 3 months, we went back to the Dr. for more blood tests. The A1C was down from 11.5 to 8.1. That is still a touch high, but much better. The Dr. then ordered a Urin Albumin test (urin collection for 24 hours) and that was fine. He also ordered a Glucose monitor which Vic wore for 4 days. When the Dr. got the results, their office called and said, not asked, "Come in at 3:45 tomorrow." We were concerned and wondered what that test would show. When the P.A. came in, he was grinning ear to ear. He said he was so happy with what Vic and I were doing - and to continue doing it. Vic will stay on the same meds and not have to go onto Insulin. We were so happy that we came home and celebrated with a green salad with broccoli, cauliflower, peppers, and nuts for toppings!The second thing: Saturday was so windy, although it wasn't as windy as Wednesday (or was it Thursday). We stopped at the gas station to gas up the car. I was so happy that Vic was the one who got out into that cold wind and I got to wait in the car. When Vic got out the credit card to pay for the gas, the wind whipped his newly acquired temple recommend out of his wallet and it started blowing across the parking lot. The lot was icy and it kept sliding. Vic tapped on the window telling me that his temple recommend had blown out and so I got out to help him look for it. He went back to gassing up the car. I asked him where it was and he said "It's probably out in that field by now." As I started across the lot, I saw it blowing across the parking lot and started following it. Just as I would just about get to it, the wind would blow it farther away. Then it blew it into a fenced in area (around phone equipment). The enclosure was about 6 or 8 feet square and the recommend was about 1 foot in from the fence. As I went up over the curb to the area, I tripped on the icy curb and fell down. Some guy stopped and asked me if I was OK. I told him I was and he drove off. (Some good he was) Then I walked around the enclosure to the side closest to the recommend and knelt down and tried to get my hand under the chain link fence. It was tight, and just as I about reached it, I actually flipped it farther away. But I was persistent and forced my hand and arm farther under the fence. At last I reached it and pulled it out. As I was getting to my feet, another guy stopped and asked if I was OK. and I said yes and he drove away too. But I was OK because I had reached my goal.Vic said he would have to remember to get out the credit card in the car before he got out into the wind. As we go through our journey in life, how many things do we learn & have to remember? Hopefully we will remember all the important things that are life threatening, but also the things that will make us a better person. Also the things that will bring us closer to our Heavenly Father.

1 comment:

cindy baldwin said...

That is so terrific about Vic's health! I am so proud of both of you guys. Keep up the great work!