Sunday, October 19, 2008

Fire or not

On Thursday, October 9, I was invited by Cindy to listen to her 1st place poem as she read it at the Professional Conference. It was in the Hinckley building where I work, So at 11:30 I went downstairs to the appointed room. We were all enjoying the poetry being read, when Bong, Bong, Bong - the fire alarm went off.

Well, needless to say, we all went outside and waited for 15 minutes or so while the smell of burned microwave popcorn was cleared out and the security guys said it was OK to go in.

When, what to my wondering ears did hear; the following Monday, the Bong, Bong, Bong of the fire alarm. I was in my office and I thought "Not again". But I went outside and waited. Well, the fire trucks arrived, the police arrived, the security guys wouldn't let us in the building.

Another false alarm - No - an electrical fire in the computer equipment in the classroom down the hall. And, to my sceptical mind - I wasn't prepared for the real thing. I had left my purse in the building.

Now (it probably will never happen again) I am ready for fire alarms. I will take my purse, turn off my computer (it had reset and didn't want to let me log back on), and I will take those alarms more seriously.

No comments: